In addition to the obvious basic function of providing seating, solar benches offer a range of additional possibilities that can significantly impact residents’ quality of life.
To enhance the appeal and functionality of benches, SEEDiA has introduced innovative solutions that can be beneficial for local communities while encouraging outdoor activities. Here are 7 examples of SEEDiA’s solar bench functions:
- Phone Charging: The benches are equipped with USB ports and induction plates that allow residents to charge their mobile devices without the need for their own power adapters.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Some benches are equipped with Wi-Fi access points, providing residents and tourists with free internet access.
- Speakers: Certain bench models come with built-in speakers that can be used for cultural promotion, providing information about places, or environmental education. An example is the bench under the Wawel Castle in Krakow, which plays Zbigniew Wodecki’s songs.
- Safety: The benches are designed to remain fully functional even during power outages, and LED lighting ensures safe illumination at night.
- Bike Rack: Some bench models have integrated bike racks, making it convenient for residents to secure their bicycles while using the bench.
- Information: Selected benches are equipped with various sensors that provide residents with information about air pollution, noise levels, and other important parameters. This data is accessible to residents through a mobile application.
- Accessibility: Benches with induction loops support the hearing-impaired and those with hearing difficulties, promoting greater social inclusivity within the local community.
Introducing such functions into solar benches not only increases residents’ comfort but also provides valuable data for cities, offering insights into social behaviors and preferences of the residents. This, in turn, enables cities to make more effective decisions in urban planning and resource management.